The Sauber F1 team turned out to be stronger as it showed its best performance at the Austrian Grand Prix. Both drivers successfully finished in the points. From P17 Charles Leclerc made a good start and achieved numerous positions. The race was although hampered when he went wide on 2nd lap and was back to P19. Since then he began to prepare himself to come back strong and fought his way into the midfield. Besides, it was a great Grand Prix for another strong racer Marcus Ericsson. Throughout the race, he continued to remain consistent. He started from P18 and gradually moved in a progressive direction to finish the race. He scored points twice in this season.
As far as the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 is concerned, the team leaves Austria with 3 points with Charles Leclerc, who finishes with 2 points in P9 and Marcus Ericsson with one point in P10. The team currently holds the 9th position in the Constructors Championship with 16 points. Charles Leclerc in the Drivers Championship presently holds P14 with 13 points and Marcus Ericsson achieved 3 points in P18. As per Ericsson, the race was great as he felt comfortable while driving and continued strong pace right from the beginning of the race. Their strategy did work well and they had another quick pit stop from mechanics. It is good that both cars finished with good points and the team is quite happy. They are now looking forward to their favorite track which is Silverstone.
Ferrari is working on promoting both of its junior drivers, Charles Leclerc and Antonio Giovinazzi, into Formula 1 with Sauber next year, effectively creating a Maranello B-team.
Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne spoke earlier this year about turning Sauber into a Ferrari B-team, after renewing its engine supply deal with the Swiss squad.
Autosport has learnt Marchionne and Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene flew to Sauber's Hinwil headquarters last week to discuss the plans - and the possibility of a Leclerc - Giovinazzi line-up for 2018.
New Sauber team principal Fred Vasseur has openly talked of his desire to develop closer ties with Ferrari, and Marchionne has been clear about the need to secure racing opportunities for Leclerc and Giovinazzi.
"We need space because we have a couple of young drivers that are exceptional," said Marchionne. "We need to find a place to lay the foundations for the Scuderia Ferrari of tomorrow."
There has been no official confirmation from Ferrari about its specific ambitions for next year, but Sauber represents the only realistic chance to get Leclerc and Giovinazzi into race seats.
Customer team Haas, where Ferrari third driver Giovinazzi has been slotted in for Friday practice outings, has already confirmed it will stick with Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen next season. (more…)
In a post made on popular social media Twitter, Pascal Wehrlein revealed the extent of his back injury and is also thanking Sauber for their hard work in helping him return to fitness as soon as possible.
Earlier in January, the Sauber team driver had fractured three vertebrae in his back in a crash at the Race of Champions. He was forced to miss the opening two roundsof the Bahrain Grand Prix due to a lack of fitness.
However, he did not fail to impress during the third round of the Prix on his Formula One race debut for the teamwhere he finished at 11th position.
The 22-year old Wehrleinposted images on Twitter earlier in the week, Monday precisely. The images showed him in a neck brace during the early stages of his rehabilitation from the injury.
Wehrlein, who is of German-Mauritian extraction, believes that the extra time he took away from F1 to focus on his training was quite vital to his early recovery. He also was surprised at his level of fitness on Sunday during the race in Bahrain.
Speaking, Wehrlein said: (more…)
F1 fans are getting ready to see the 2017 season kick off with the Australian Grand Prix that is set to start on March 26th.
Teams are coping with a new set of regulations this year and it remains to be seen how well the drivers adapt to these rules. There is much anticipation being built up around the Formula I Rolex Australian Grand Prix as it would also mean the beginning of a new season in F1 for 2017.
As every team prepares for the upcoming event there is focus on Sauber’s team and media has been intrigued to understand how the drivers are getting adjusted to the city of Melbourne, the racing circuit as well as new regulations. After all, not everyone has the home ground advantage that Daniel Ricciardo has. Marcus Ericsson from Sauber states that he loves the city of Melbourne as it has much to offer. (more…)
In preparation for the upcoming Formula 1 2017 season, former Mercedes driver Pascal Wehrlein has made his entry at Sauber.
His departure from the Mercedes team has created an opening and the team has plans to fill that void.
With the German leaving Mercedes, the door has been left open for fellow driver Valterri Bottas to swoop in and fill Nico Rosberg’s empty seat at the world champions. His entry at Sauber will be a welcome development as he is set to replace the outgoing driver Felipe Nasir and will be partnering with Marcus Ericsson at the new team which uses drive trains supplied by Ferrari.
The departure of the 22-year old has given a huge pointer as to where the future of Bottas will lie as he has been rumored to be Mercedes’ reserve option.
According to claims by sky sports, Wehrlein has been considered by force India to be the befitting replacement for Nico Hulkenberg. With Bottas’ potential exit from Mercedes, his replacement is likely to be Felipe Massa as the deputy team principal of Mercedes Claire William is hopeful for an announcement regarding the issue by the end of the week. (more…)
Felipe Nasr, driver for the Sauber F1 Team, has insisted that he got all he could from his car, despite having finished in nineteenth place in the qualifying for the Sunday Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
The qualifying held at the Yas Marina Circuit on Saturday, saw the Brazilian finish in nineteenth position in preparation for the final race of the year which might be his last for the Sauber F1 Team.
Two weeks ago, the Brazilian had scored the first points in 2016 for the team back at the Brazilian Grand Prix. Nasr has however remained positive and hopes to maintain the position of his team as they prepare for the Manor Racing MRT in the constructors’ Championship.
Nasr had talked about the qualifying and his hopes for the final race, after the qualifying session,
“I felt that I extracted the maximum out of the car today. Although it was not enough to make it into Q2.
“I had a clean lap on my second set of Ultrasofttyres, so putting in a decent lap time. It was positive that we were able to make the tyres work better than on my first set. Besides that, I again had a misfire on my quick lap. (more…)
Even though most racing teams are gearing up to make significant changes in their cars in 2017 many F1 companies are not sitting back till the next year.
One such instance is Sauber whose team would be introducing front wings of a new design. The new concept would be used at the Spa. Sauber would have the front wings added to the car by the time the summer break is over. It is a concept that they feel will help to bring in a difference in the performance of their race car model.
A new wing in the rear was trailed in Hungarian Grand Prix. The company however did not see the performance it expected to see with the new addition. However, with certain tweaks that has been brought into the design, the tests that were done at Hockenheim proved to be positive. The rear wing is part of the upgrade package that is being designed for C35. The changes include a floor, new front wings and peripheral parts.